Hiring objectives today seem to be nothing but constant challenges for human resources departments. It can often be overwhelming too, especially when upper management has higher expectations with every full-time position they bring onboard. At Corporate Resources of Illinois, we’ve spent over two decades sourcing some of the best talent in the Chicagoland area. We understand the demands employers face and want to share some recruiting hacks to help hiring managers find those golden gems.
Take a look at some our recommendations for Interviewing and Recruiting top talent.
Helpful Interview Hacks & Tips for Employers
– Dig Deeper: Experience is essential usually in all things, but we recommend digging a bit further into a candidate’s background. We’ve talked before about the importance a candidate fitting into a company’s corporate culture. You may find an expert to fill your need, but that candidate may be too far of a fit for your business. Use the interview process to ferret out the necessary candidates by asking company culture questions spontaneously throughout the interview. This will allow you to find the comparable candidates that might align with your company’s culture.
– Identify Your Red Flags: Those pesky red flags that sometimes reveal themselves in a phone or face-to-face interview should not be overlooked. It’s our experience that most department heads know the key attributes their looking for when hiring a person for their department. They also know the personality characteristics and job skills to avoid. Discussing what traits and skills are not acceptable and what might be a potential indicator are equally important.
– Who, What, Where, When & How: They say the devil is in the details and that cliché statement is accurate when you’re conducting an interview. This hack will give you great insight into a candidate and whether or not they’ll be right for you. Who are they? Who did they work for? What did they do and what did they accomplish? Where did they come from or Who do they know? Or How far they’ve come? All these are great probing starters to get the details quick and efficiently when finding the right candidate for your business.
– Communication Skills: Forget about how well a candidate can sell themselves. You’ll meet many job seekers over the years who have that skill down. What’s more important is to listen what is being said and not being said. One of our best hacks is to listen to the responses the candidate uses. What is their choice of words? Their language choice and overall communication skills can tell you a lot about whether a candidate is a good fit.
– Vary the Interview Q&A: If not all candidates are alike, changing the interview questions can uncover a wealth of information. Let’s face it, using the same interview style and questions repeatedly and getting the similar responses, might not be the candidate’s fault but the interviewer’s approach. Consider the position you’re hiring for and try to modify the interview questions towards the candidate and position. Use behavior-type inquiries to determine if the candidate has the emotional intelligence to be part of your team and company. Don’t standardize the interview process so much you get boring or similar responses.
The need to hire more efficiently and with greater results is an issue all employers face and it’s not going away anytime soon. Using these recruiting hacks can help you save a ton of time and money. If you’re still concerned about meeting your recruiting goals, contact us for a free consultation. We can help.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR, Ingrid Moore
Ingrid Moore is the President and Owner of Corporate Resources of Illinois, an employment & staffing agency with over 20+years’ experience located in Schaumburg, IL. Ingrid and her team assist employers with finding the right hire for their business. For more info, follow us on our LinkedIn Company Page, or follow us Corporate Resources of Illinois‘s Google+ page.